The Last American Survivor

Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Many who know me personally and on blogs I frequent know that I am an amateur World War I history buff, so I closely follow those surviving of 'The Great War.' According to most reputable sources, Mr. Frank Buckles, of West Virginia, is the last known American veteran of World War I. The picture above is of Mr. Buckles during his military service at age 16, and the picture below is one of Mr. Buckles at age 106, looking as dapper as he did some 90 years ago.



Maybe it is just me waxing nostalgia, but I just feel it is vitally important that we remember such veterans while they are alive, before the leave us, for once they do leave, that era in our military history is gone.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP