Springtime

Tuesday, April 22, 2008



So, I am outside smoking a cigarette, and I look over and see what I feel is the first harbinger of Spring, a baby rabbit, as cute as the one pictured here, just nibbling away at grass.

This got me to thinking about the critters that inhabit our lawns and why some people like them while others don't. For example, I just love seeing rabbits on my lawn, but I dislike squirrels, whereas I have a friend that is just the opposite. He argues that rabbits are destructive to his lawn, and I argue that squirrels are equally as destructive, if not more.

Just something I was thinking.

1 comments:

gregor April 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

The back woodlot at Stately Sad Old Goth Manor hosts a warren of bunnies and the burrow of our resident groundhog family. The bunnies are a riot to watch, especially in the spring when they run around like maniacs, hopping over each other and chasing each other around. The groundhogs hang around out back until the mullberry trees fruit, then they come up into the yard and feast. I usually clean up the berries that fall by our back walk, but there's a tree just beside our brook that I let go and the berries lay in the sun and ferment. The growlers gobble them up and get tipsy, then lay in the sun and sleep with purple faces. We used to have an old female that our girls named Grumpy because she had a permanent scowl on her face. She was so used to them playing in the yard that she would just amble around grazing when they were outside, sometimes coming right up to them if they sat still (which little girls rarely do...). When the girls were raising hell in the pool, Grumpy would hang around, waiting for them to splash her, then she'd run back a few feet, shake it off and come back for more. She used to climb the mullberry tree, too, to get berries when there weren't enough on the ground. Funniest thing you ever saw - they come down trees backwards, tail first. I never knew they climbed until I saw it for myself. Oh, if you want some flying squirrels, let me know. The next time I catch some in my attic, I'll send them your way!

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP