Coffee!

Saturday, May 3, 2008



What is it about a nice, hot cup of coffee in the morning? Is it the aroma? Is it the anticipation of tasting that delicious brew? Is it the routine 'morning pick me up?'

I am an aficionado of coffee. I like it one way, and one way in the morning...black, no creme, no sugar, and strong. When I pour a cup, I do not want to be able to see either the sides or the bottom of my cup.

I have tried many types and brands, to include the whole bean, fresh grind dealio. I have used those gold mesh filters, unbleached paper filters, plain white paper filters, filtered water, tap water, etc.

What I have found in my 30 years of drinking coffee, is that much of the time, it is not the style, type, or brand of coffee, but in the preparation, and length of time it is allowed to sit on the warmer.

I use the drip method, with a cone style filter, not the basket type. I make it in the morning, using ice cold water, and coffee that has been stored in the fridge. I generally use 6 heaping scoops for 12 cups. I also have the warmer set at a low-medium warming range, because nothing sucks more then drinking coffee that tastes burnt or cooked, like that crap you are forced to buy at gas stations on road trips.

Also, I will generally not drink coffee that is over 2 hours old. I just find that coffee over 2 hours old has an unpalatable taste. I just won't do that. Had enough of that crappy coffee in the military:)

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Melissa "Darla" In Texas May 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM  

I know the feeling!
If I can see the bottom of my cup, it is NOT coffee!
Cooked coffee is NASTY. The two hour mark is pushing it for me. As soon as the aroma of the coffee starts to wane, it is over, time for a fresh pot.
Just the smell of cooked coffee is nauseating!

Melissa In Texas

Anonymous May 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM  

Me and the wife are from the NW, Oregon and Washington, so we're sort of coffee-snobbish. We've found that our favorite method is to use a coffee press, our own grinder on-the-spot, use water that's around 190F or maybe just a bit higher, let it steep ten minutes or so, and to use the best water possible. Grey-water from a KOA campground is what you find most places.

If we want it to last, we use a thermos. A nice find this last Christmas was a Thermos brand coffee cup. I went walking on a cold 20 degree night with 25mph winds and it was strapped to my belt with a carabiner. It was still hot by the end of the 2 hour walk.

There's a blend in the NW that I can't find here, goes by the name Cafe Europa. It is so oily and dark that you get this tuna smell when brewing it, but it just tastes dark and wonderful.

You shouldn't be able to see anything inside that cup. Anyone asks me if I want cream or sugar my response is "Why would I want that when I asked for coffee?"

gregor May 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

Hot, fresh and black. no other way. (yeah, I've heard all the jokes, thanks...).
I was about ten years old before I ever say anyone put stuff in their coffee, I come from a long line of black coffee drinkers.
Brand doesn't make much difference to me as long as it's a dark roast. I also have a nice little espresso machine. I grind fresh for that, sometimes I grind the daily stuff, but I'm a lazy sot most of the time.
The vessel makes a difference, too. I have an ancient maroon diner mug that weighs a ton and holds about a cup and a half. It's been my favorite for thirty years.

gregor May 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

Come to think of it, coffee has been a part of almost every story and poem I've ever written. Go figure...

http://sadoldgoth.blogspot.com/2007/04/yeah-its-another.html

Melissa "Darla" In Texas May 5, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

COFFEE
The elixir of life
;)
MITX

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP